Tuesday 19 May 2009

One man and his parrot

I am currently in Paris. I'm not going to try and write everything I've done here, because last time I failed. Well, my brother thwarted me (click here to read). This is just one funny incident.

My mum, brother and I were sitting in a cafe in Monmatre, watching the world go by. We ordered kirs and we got kirs. Huge kirs, a whole wine goblet of kir. So we got slightly tipsy as our family are notorious lightweights. Then a man selling his 'wares' came up to us hoping we would buy something and reduce his poverty. Unfortunately, he was selling a toy parrot and in my tipsy state I found the episode hilarious. I tried to stifle my laughter but on catching Stephen's eye, it became all too much. I just let out a huge snort and the man subsequently left. Probably to drown himself in the Seine.

I did observe, though, his poverty was probably a result of his business acumen, or lack of. Who would try to sell a stuffed toy to a group of adults? Really. Imagine 'here darling, I went to Paris and bought you this: a toy from the French equivalent of the Early Learning Centre. No, no wine or not even a beret, a toy. A stupid, stuffed toy.'

3 comments:

  1. :) this makes me happy. Glad you're having fun! Wish I had been there to see the episode with the toy parrot. What on earth is a kir by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are having fun, would loved to have seen you tipsy on the kir. How? there is hardly any alcohol in it:p

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I just let out a huge snort and the man subsequently left."

    Now you know my pain EVERYTIME that I laugh!!
    KVD

    ReplyDelete