Friday 15 May 2009

Digging

Today I'm actually leaving university. I'm packing at this moment because, as usual, I've left it to the last minute. I don't think I've got the job in Oxford as they haven't got back to me yet. That's a little disappointing.

I had a lot of things to write about, but probably won't get a chance. Well, I'll do a quick summary. Tuesday, I had people over for a meal, which was really good fun, and then Becca, Lee, Rachael and I watched Changeling. That was quite good. Wednesday I slept until late, went to the CU photo, did first aid (to use the term loosely, more helped get him to hospital) on someone who crushed their leg in the silly boys' photo. Went to Lord Beechings, then did ChristianAid collecting, walked up two very steep hills, watched Finding Neverland and said goodbye to my friend Sam. Yesterday, met up with Steve, the St Mike's Youth Worker, at 10am for tea and coffee; then met up with Jenny, my longest friend at uni, and had quite an intense chat. Went to Banana Club, where they gave me a book, Why do farts smell like rotten eggs?, as a leaving present. Finally, I went to Le Casablanca and Salt with Rachael. I am exhausted. Luckily I can sleep on trains.

Steve is one of those people that comes out with sagical advice when you don't expect it. He said to me yesterday:
There are two types of people in the world. Those who dig for dirt and those who dig for gold. The media and society tend to dig for dirt and shame people. Those of dig for gold look for the best even in the most difficult of people. And when they find that gold they don't just leave it but they need to polish it up and show the world how beautiful it is.
So that struck me quite a bit. Which one am I? I wonder. Which one are you?


2 comments:

  1. On his theory of two types of people that dig. Which category do I fit in as I literally dig (tends to be for dirt i.e. changes in soil) but sometimes other things and hopefully one for gold :p.
    Glad you are coming back to Southampton :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's amazing what steve comes out with. I have had many a wise word from steve, Don't underestimate the wisdom of silly people. :D

    ReplyDelete