Wednesday 17 December 2008

The tale of the rather bizarre larder

Gather round, and I shall tell you a story. Okay, not really, and in honesty the title doesn't accurately describe what the post is about. But as an English student, I know full well that most titles are misleading and inherently problematic.

I am going home tomorrow and had a bizarre assortment of left-over food I needed to get rid of. Sort of the opposite of Mother Hubbard Syndrome. So I just cooked a meal that contained:

  • 1 tin of tomatoes
  • 1 courgette, cut into chunks
  • 1 carrot, cut into tiny pieces
  • 1/2 yellow pepper, diced
  • 1 tin of tuna
  • assorted pasta shapes
  • a lot of spinach
  • a lot of cheese
  • a dollop of pesto

A rather strange mix. The tuna and pesto weren't added to get rid of them, they were because I merely thought 'eh, what the heck!' and threw them in. This recipes are nothing on the par of my friend Rachel's (note: not Rachael), who has a blog here. However, I sort of made up for it in my dessert. It was some apples (1 bramley and some Braeburns I think) with mixed dried fruit, cinnamon, brown sugar and a bit of brandy heated in the microwave for 5 minutes. But it didn't quite make up for the amateur style of the first meal- at least I used up the food. Well, I still have loads of the meal left over but I can freeze that, with a warning 'Consume at your own peril', with a scull and cross-bones stuck on it.

I think I will just take this time to inform you that the picture (right) was a blimen' nuisance. It just doesn't want to go where I wanted it, and as soon as it was added about fourty line breaks were added where there should have only been one. The bulleted list above was a nightmare to rectify. So in other words, you better well appreciate it.

So, now I have to finish packing for tomorrow and tidying- which is a bit annoying as no-one else in the house thought it appropriate to even throw away food during the holidays. So, as usual I have to make sure this house doesn't go to rack and ruin. I owe some of them money, and I feel like saying that as they treat me like an in-house cleaner, I will start charging for my services.

Rant over. Goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment